Are you looking to install a new fence on your property? If so, you might be wondering which type of fencing material best suits your needs.
There are a number of factors that every homeowner needs to think about when undertaking a fencing project. Things like your budget, the purpose of the fence (i.e. security, privacy, pet containment, attractiveness, etc.), the climate of your area, and your style are all important considerations that should go into your decision.
However, beyond all of those, durability should be a factor at the top of your list.
If you came just to find out which fence material is the most durable, I’ll cut right to the chase:
Masonry wall fencing is the most durable fence material. This includes brick, concrete, stone, block, and even stucco. It’s known for its longevity and can last over 100 years without any issues.
You might have the urge to put aesthetics at the top of our priority list, but choosing a durable fence material is vital. Choosing a durable fence material will save you from the heavy costs associated with repairs or even a full-blown replacement down the line.
In this article, I’ll break down the top 7 most durable fencing materials that you should consider installing on your property.
We’ll take a deep dive into each one of the seven materials, and I’ll guide you along your journey to finding the best and most durable fence for your home.
1 – Masonry Fencing
Are you looking for a fence that you don’t have to maintain or paint every year while still creating a distinctive curb appeal and the utmost security for your home?
Look no further than a masonry fence. Sometimes referred to as concrete wall fence, masonry wall fencing uses various materials like cast stones, blocks, tiles, bricks, stucco travertine, limestone, granite, and cobs.
Masonry fencing can give you the longevity that other fence materials simply cannot guarantee. Not only can it last a long time without any repairs, but it also looks stunning and enhances the overall appeal of your home.
Why Masonry Fencing?
The initial costs of putting up a masonry fence may seem rather high. However, you’ll be surprised to find out that they end up being far less expensive than other fences in the long run since they almost always are maintenance-free.
Here are just a few reasons why you should choose masonry fencing:
- Protection and Durability – As a homeowner, you certainly don’t want a fence that will fall victim to a swarm of hungry termites or pests. This is a problem that you’ll never have to worry about when you use masonry fencing. Aside from the fact that it will last a lifetime, it also affords you the utmost protection.
- Versatility – In addition to offering peace and tranquility, a masonry fence can be great for blocking out unwanted sound. It’s also the type of fence that’s functional in all climates, so you won’t have to worry about environmental damage either.
- Value and Beauty – Masonry fencing does not require constant maintenance or upkeep like other types of fence materials. They are fire-proof, termite-proof, rust-free, and a great choice if you’re looking for a material that does not cause further depletion of natural resources like timber. A masonry fence can also be designed to enhance the aesthetic beauty of your home, which can be enjoyed by your whole family for decades to come.
2 – Steel Fencing
Bringing forth a combination of iron and carbon, steel is one of the most durable materials you can use to fence your home.
It’s super strong and resistant to damage, impact, and wind. Given that normal steel is prone to rust and corrosion, you should make sure that the steel you use is galvanized. That means your steel is coated with zinc as a protective layer to avoid rust and corrosion.
Galvanized steel can provide a great deal of security, privacy, and is very long-lasting.
Using Steel for Your Next Fencing Project
There are a number of reasons why you should consider steel for your next fencing project.
- Strong and Sturdy – Using steel as your fencing material will guarantee you a strong and sturdy fence that can last for decades without any issues. Steel is also a perfect material if you’re looking for a fence that can provide you with proper protection against vandalism. This is because steel is unlikely to bend or bow under pressure and won’t have significant damage, even if something runs into or falls on it.
- Resistant to Environmental Damage – Although steel can rust in areas that are close to the coast (salty coastal air can hasten rusting), steel is generally resistant to environmental damage, especially if coated with zinc.
In short, steel offers an incredible value as a fencing material. While it can be a little expensive when compared to other fences, it’s a very low-maintenance material and when used properly is quite visually appealing. Most importantly, it can last a lifetime.
3 – Aluminum Fence
Given that aluminum is a low-density metal that can resist corrosion, it has become a popular choice for homeowners looking for a lightweight but durable fence. Whether you choose to install it yourself or have a professional handle the job, an aluminum fence can give you a timeless appearance, especially if you’re looking for a low-maintenance option.
Why an Aluminum Fence?
Why should you go with an aluminum fence?
- Affordable – In addition to its durability and low maintenance, aluminum is less expensive when compared to other materials like masonry fencing and steel fencing
- Eco-Friendly – It’s also recyclable, making it a great option if you want something that’s environmentally friendly.
- Great for Seaside Premises – If you live in a coastal area where saltwater and the coastal wind is a problem, an aluminum fence is a solid solution. It isn’t susceptible to rust or corrosion.
Aluminum fencing can, therefore, be an excellent choice if you want a material that’s affordable, easy to work with, visually appealing, low on maintenance, and above all, durable.
4 – Wrought Iron Fence
In its natural form, wrought iron is an iron alloy with very low carbon content. This not only makes it tough and corrosion-resistant, but also malleable and very durable. Back in the day, this type of metal was once highly sought-after since it was used for making chisels, swords, and even axes too.
Today, wrought iron is one of the most durable materials that can be used in making a sturdy fence. While other fencing materials are likely to degrade every 5 to 10 years, a quality wrought iron fence will last for decades and decades.
Why an Iron Wrought Fence?
Known for its strength and durability, there are a number of additional reasons why you should consider wrought iron for your fence. They include:
- Cost – If you’re on a budget and looking for a material that’s affordable yet long lasting, a wrought iron fence should be among your top choices. A high-quality wrought iron fence is a lot cheaper than a steel or masonry fence.
- High-End Appearance – There’s no doubt that a wrought iron fence offers an air of elegance and beauty. In fact, wrought iron fences that have been around for over a century have never really gone out of style and still remain as beautiful as ever.
At the end of the day, wrought iron is more durable than most types of fencing materials, including wood and vinyl. It can withstand various natural elements and will serve you for generations if properly maintained.
5 – Chain Link Fence
There’s a pretty good reason why a chain link fence is known as the hurricane fence: it’s strong, dependable under almost all types of weather conditions, and extremely durable. It’s provided generations of homeowners with durable and reliable fencing for their properties even in the most demanding situations.
Benefits of Installing a Chain Link Fence
As a homeowner, you probably have a lot of concerns regarding the privacy, security, and appearance of your home. Installing a chain link fence can perfectly address all these issues with ease.
Here are a couple added benefits of installing a chain link fence:
- Safety and Security – Needless to say, a chain link fence is a great solution for containment. Whether you have kids or pets that you need to safely keep within your property and protect from intruders, a chain link fence can be a remarkable solution.
- Affordable – When you compare the cost of buying and installing a chain link fence with other fencing options, you might be surprised to find out a chain link fence is very affordable. This is basically why it’s the most preferred option when it comes to fencing large areas such as a parking lot, a sports field, a body of water, and big backyards.
No doubt, a chain link fence is one of the most popular and durable fencing materials out there for your home.
6 – Composite Fencing
Formed from recycled plastics and wood pieces, composite is a relatively new fencing material that’s steadfastly gaining popularity.
This is a superb fencing material if you’re looking for something unique and durable. Generally, a composite fence material is made with a protective exterior layer that protects it from pests or against fading that could be caused by the sun or adverse weather conditions.
Reasons to Consider Composite Fencing
If you’re making plans to fence your property, there are a lot of good reasons why you should consider composite fencing.
- Strong and Long-Lasting – Putting up a fence around your home is a huge investment. This compels you to go for a fencing material that will remain perfectly functional for as long as possible. A composite fence can last for about 30 years, which is of course, far longer than most wooden fences.
- Unique and Attractive – If you’re looking for something that’s unique and will make your property pop, a composite fence can be a wonderful choice. Although it has the appearance of wood, you don’t have to paint it every now and then to maintain it or keep it attractive.
All in all, a composite fence is highly versatile and can be designed in a number of sizes, colors, and styles. Aside from being durable, it’s also an outstanding option if you’re looking for something a bit more modern than other available materials.
7 – Vinyl Fencing
Believe it or not, a vinyl fence is actually quite durable. It can last for up to 20 years without any maintenance needed. Made with high-tech Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) compounds, there’s no doubt that a vinyl fence can outlast a wooden fence.
Why Install a Vinyl Fence?
Are you thinking about whether or not to install a vinyl fence on your property? Vinyl remains one of the most durable yet affordable fencing materials to this day. It’s also fairly easy to maintain and aesthetically pleasing.
Some of the other benefits of a vinyl fence include:
- Impervious to Pests – One of the most crucial features that make vinyl fencing so durable is that it can stand up to pests. Unlike a wooden fence, pests can’t cause any damage to vinyl fencing since it is insulated with a tough outer plastic, which also adds to its durability.
- Eco-Friendly – Although most man-made materials are harmful to the environment, the same cannot be said of vinyl. This is a material that’s made from natural resources such as ethylene, which is found in natural gases or crude oil. Vinyl is essentially a natural type of plastic that’s environmentally friendly, recyclable, and also very durable.
Choosing the right fencing material for your home is a pretty big decision. After all, a proper fence can help keep your family safe while also adding a lot of value to your property.
Ultimately, there are a ton of fencing materials and options on the market, and some are more durable than others. Hopefully, I’ve taken the guesswork out of much of it and helped you with the hardest part.
If you go with one of the seven materials I discussed above and install your fence correctly, it should last at least as long as you plan on living there without any major issues.